Saturday, March 24, 2007

Zodiac (A-)


BF and I went to see Zodiac tonight (Friday night that is). I liked it.

Wow! I’ve actually liked the last two films we’ve seen. I went into tonight’s film knowing practically nothing about the Zodiac Killer (except what I learned last week from Coast to Coast AM’s “expert panel”), so it was very interesting for me to simply learn more about the murders.

It was also fun to see the Bay Area in Film. I recognized Original Joe's! In the film it looked exactly like when we were there last year. What a great place. They offer ravioli as a side dish with entrees, and serve generous portions. BF and I are a couple who KNOW how to get our money’s worth at an all-you-can-eat buffet, but we took doggie bags home that night.

I digress, back to the film…

Zodiac was artfully filmed especially some of the transitional scenes. I didn’t realize going in that David Fincher is the same director that did Fight Club.

Entertainment Weekly’s, Owen Gleiberman describes Zodiac as "A procedural thriller for the information age..." I agree. It documents the investigation of a serial killer in a world without email, fax machines or Starbuck’s. It’s a convincing period piece that didn’t beat you over the head (too much) with its props. If you’re a film lover or true crime fan, go see it in the theater, if not, it will be worth the rental fee.

No comments: