Friday, March 2, 2007

Under My Tongue


Over the last few days, I’ve been having some periods of medium anxiety over the pain, pressure and tingling I am experiencing on the right side of my right tongue, throat, ear, neck and eye. I know that things always ramp up a bit for me when I have doctors’ appointments pending (the end of the month). I say “periods” of anxiety because it’s not constant (thank goodness). It seems to just be a little more than usual over all with somewhat intense episodes in the late afternoon or early evening….I’m just peering over the edged of the abyss, not actually hanging by my fingernails over the rim. It reminds me that I need to work on a system for describing/quantifying the anxiety I’m feeling. I think it would be a useful thing for me to do.

I’ve been doing the “checking thing” in my mouth a little too often. I know it’s not a good thing, but I can’t help myself at times. I have held back from poking around in there with Q-tips, another favorite trick of mine but I’ve looked under my tongue (things look reasonably normal there). When I force myself to see how silly I am, I end up humming the Rolling Stones melody “Under my Thumb” but with the lyrics “Under my Tongue.”

Take your Prozac and your Claritin and shut up, Barbora.

2 comments:

Leila V. said...

Why is it always just one side of the face/body? That freaks me out.

It's understandable to be anxious around a doctor's appointment. Although, I'm usually more anxious afterwards, obsessing on what she didn't find, but should've.

Under my tongue...(I like that).

Lacy said...

I say that more times than you can imagine...

"shut up lacy and take your paxil."

ahhh, sweet relief.