Friday, March 23, 2007

Unsuitable for Hypochondriacs

The promotional poster for “Mad Cowgirl” got me thinking…There are films out there that hypochondriacs like me should just NOT see.

So, just like the Catholic Light would list films that were objectionable for all audiences, I am compiling a list of Films Unsuitable for Hypochondriacs. The funny thing is, as a child, I would ALWAYS check out that list of films published in the Catholic Light and wonder about the priests who had the job of going and viewing all those objectionable films…probably Jesuits.

I can only come up with the following six so far, but welcome any additions to the list.

Dark Victory (1939) - Perhaps the best dying-chick-flick ever made. No one can die like Bette Davis! “Oh- It’s all going dark. I must be brave…” Pardon me while I grab a Kleenex. Check out the butts on her hospital tray. The gal is in for brain surgery! Where’s the bottle of vodka? Under her pillow, perhaps? A wonderful (yet depressing and scary) film! – I give it 4 Paxil.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) – Oh no! I’m becoming a pod person. I just know it. Donald Sutherland and Leonard Nimoy give great performances. This is just an awesome film. – I give it 3 ½ Paxil.

Camille (1936) – I say! Greta Garbo is right up there with Bette Davis. – I give it 3 ½ Paxil.


Sweet November (2001) – A dumb, dying-chick-flick. I like Charlize Theron, but she’s no Bette Davis. – I give it 2 Paxil.

Autumn in New York (2000) – Another, even dumber dying-chick-flick. Winona Ryder is no Bette Davis. – I give it ½ Paxil.

1 comment:

Lacy said...

Hah!!! Rating it by paxils! Genius!