Saturday, March 17, 2007

More Snow

We were snowed in for Valentine’s Day and we were snowed on for St. Patrick’s Day. I’m afraid to think of what will happen come Easter.

This morning, instead of taking the dog out for a walk, I put him on his tether and let him potty by himself, while I watched in comfort from the kitchen. He always makes figure 8’s for several minutes before pooping. This morning, true to form, he SWAM figure 8’s for several minutes though 12” of snow before doing his business. He knows the value of a good ritual.

Next thing you know, the phone rang. It was my Mom, out of breath and exhausted. She wanted to know if BF could come right over and shovel from her gate to her mailbox, ASAP!

I know that I have absolutely NO RIGHT to make fun of anyone else’s phobia, but that woman has a real obsession about getting her mail. She’s 85, has a pace maker, cancer…and has a self-reliant streak, 110 miles long. She was out there shoveling! God bless her! Worried that the mailman wouldn’t deliver if the path wasn’t perfectly clear.

She’s expresses displeasure when I’ve brought the dog over in the afternoon and let him run in her yard, because he goes crazy, barking, growling and snarling when anyone comes near the gate. One day, the mailman REALLY did pass her house because of my vicious, little guy (for a 25 lb. meatball, he really can sound intimidating). She was panicked that mailman wouldn’t come back…. EVER.

BF thinks that’s she’s afraid that undelivered mail immediately gets returned and told me how grateful he is that my phobias don’t extend to mundane things like the mail.

“Ha” I say, “wait ‘til I’m 85!”

1 comment:

Leila V. said...

lol. Your OCD must be worse than you claim if it rubbed off on your dog! ;)

You're mom is too funny, I can only imagine the quirks I'll have if I live to 85!