Friday, March 2, 2007

Dinner

Collard Greens

2 slices bacon chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 lb collard greens
14.5 oz can chicken broth
White wine vinegar
Frank’s hot sauce
Salt
Zatarain's Creole Seasoning

1. Sautee bacon bits in large (deep) pan.
2. When bacon is browned, add garlic and onions to pan.
3. When bacon, onions and garlic are browned and just sticking to the bottom of the pan, add collard greens, chicken broth and approximately 1/3 cup vinegar.
4. Cook collard greens about 30 to 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Season to taste with additional vinegar, salt, Creole seasoning and hot sauce.

Makes 3 (100 calorie) Barbora-sized servings. These are large servings.

BF claims that the ice age didn’t wipe out the dinosaurs…but that I ate them all and when I got to the last one, I didn’t bother to replace it. (I think I drank his last beer or something once)

4 comments:

Lacy said...

collard greens eh? Are you from the south, dearie? :) My grammy used to make a mean batch of greens...being from Missouri, we've got the north/south thing going on.

I may give that recipe a whirl.

Barbora said...

I was born and raised here in Pennsylvania.

BF used to like to eat at Popeye's every now and then. That's were I discovered greens. I made up this recipe trying to recreate what theirs tasted like to me. Now, if I could cook red beans and rice like Popeye's, I'd be dangerous.

Barbora said...

I just pointed out to BF that he introduced me to both Popeye’s and Chez Panisse.

“And where did you ultimately end up spending more money?” he asked.

The answer of course is Popeye’s.

Leila V. said...

Bacon, garlic, hot sauce - I'm sold.