Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Richard McBeef

I’m very horrified and embarrassed to admit that I’m fascinated by the unfolding drama about the Virginia Tech Massacre. As a public service to anyone else with morbid curiosity:

The Smoking Gun
already has one of Cho Seung-Hui’s plays posted. Its entitled “Richard McBeef.” It reads like the sort of thing high school students write to shock, disgust and amuse one another. In hindsight, it seems like a telltale sign of the impending violence to come, but on it’s own, doesn’t seem so horrifying.

Back when I was in high school, we read Edward Albee for the first time during our junior year. My nerd friends and I were so impressed we all began enthusiastically writing our own absurd plays. A pal of mine wrote one and dedicated to me (and the bus we rode to school on). I know I still have it around here somewhere. It read like Edward Albee meets “Psycho” meets “Pink Flamingos.” My pal is now a well-respected 43 year-old who teaches philosophy at a university in New England. Go figure.

I’m just glad I’m not the one who has to sort it out and make policy.

4 comments:

Leila V. said...

I've also been following the breadcrumbs of the media, but hadn't crossed the play yet. Gotta love The Smoking Gun!

I also think people make too much out of these 20/20 hindsight warnings, (but I can relate to over analyzing a situation).

Hurry up and find that play so we can read it! In the meantime, I'll be busy over at The Smoking Gun.

Dave B. said...

The question that's on my mind is this: At what point does this go from being news to being entertainment for profit? I mean, okay, it's certainly huge news, yes, but after replaying the same videos and interviews a couple of dozen times over the past three days, there comes a point when CNN is only exploiting this for ratings, no? Not to mention, CNN and the rest of them are giving this nutjob exactly the sort of fame and attention he wanted. What's that say to the next nutjob who is slowly working up the courage to try to top this guy's record? It says, you too can become famous like a rock star or a-list actor by shooting a whole bunch of innocent kids. What's worse is that CNN and the rest of them know this but don't care.

Or am I allowing my biases get in the way of an objective opinion?

Dave

Barbora said...

Oh, I hear you Dave! I can just imagine the executives of NBC thanking God above for the package they received in the mail from the shooter.

My boyfriend was shocked that NBC was such a big whore and would air some of the video on the evening news.

Would any of the other networks done otherwise? I don’t think so. The execs. At ABC and CBS are probably cursing their fate, drowning their sorrows and popping antacids tonight.

Dave B. said...

The ethical quandary that exists day to day in the media is definitely an interesting one. Now THERE'S the perfect job for me. Let me be the moral compass for the media! :)

I'll wait here in case the read this post and try to phone me with a job offer.

Dave ;)