Wednesday, April 4, 2007

$72 Nose Spray

As of April 1st, I began recording all my daily expenses in an Excel spreadsheet.
I felt that I needed to do this to really see where I was wasting money.
Even though I haven't had an income since September, I'm still not very good at denying myself many of the luxuries that seemed like nothing in California.

This idea occurred to me, week before last, when I managed to say "NO" to a pair of $79 red, Ann Taylor shoes. A mere six months ago, I would have asked "Do they also come in black?"

Three days of this process passed surprise-free.

Today, however, I paid a visit to the pharmacy and got the shock of my life!

The allergy, nose spray that I was prescribed and had been getting with my $5 Kaiser co-payment, REALLY costs $72.99 a bottle!

It dawned on me (embarrassingly not for the first time) that this nose spray doesn't even do any good. It's a useless nose spray that I've just been taking out of habit. This is the LAST bottle of Nasarel for me, baby! I can't believe I paid the $70! I'm an idiot...

but not as big an idiot as Keith Richards.

Today's news story had me literally, laughing out loud. Imagine how OUT OF CONTROL you've got to be, in order to have your publicist issue an official statement DENYING that you snorted your father's ashes.

You just can't make this stuff up!

4 comments:

Leila V. said...

If I'm paying $70 for something to put up my nose...uh, never mind.

Lacy said...

Holy crapola. That's a heckuva lot of money! I think I might faint if I recorded all the frivolous spending I did. Ann Taylor-good stuff!

Barbora said...

The frivolous expenses have been dwarfed by today’s payment to the electrician.

As for the $72 nose spray… I’m beginning to think the Ann Taylor shoes would have been the better buy.

I look into my crystal ball and…what’s this I see in Barbora’s future?
Less medication and …What is that smell?…Top Ramin?

Dave B. said...

I can relate to your story. I've been out of work a while now yet still haven't really curtailed my spending. I don't buy myself big ticket items anymore, but still go out for dinner on the weekends as if I have a paycheque coming in. I should start a spending diary like you did in Excel. Or maybe I'll hire my accountant to keep track of it for me! ;)

As for Keith R., that's nasty business, indeed.

Dave