Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Peeper Problems

or..."Please Not the Bowels Redeux"

Leila V’s post about twitches in the eye reminded me of a terrible hypochondria episode that immediately, preceded my separation from my ex-husband.

One fine, spring morning, about 10 years ago, I woke up with a urinary tract infection. I knew (even then) that this was a common problem. I visited the doctor and got the necessary medication.

Unfortunately I couldn’t stop dwelling the symptoms and sensations down there. Well, after the infection seemed to have cleared up, I continued to experience twitching (sometimes painful) in my urethra.

VD! I was CERTAIN I had contracted VD somewhere, somehow…from using a public toilet perhaps.

After the obligatory, slew of tests (some rather unpleasant) and weeks of anxiety, I was informed that I was experiencing stress related muscle spasms in the urethra.

This is the kind of thing that you just don’t read about on the Internet. Even now, a quick search brings up everything else under the sun.

The distressing symptoms disappeared as mysteriously as they appeared.

I was cured.

3 comments:

Leila V. said...

lol! Finally, I feel like my years of squatting have paid off.

Anonymous said...

Is there anything stress can't cause? At least it didn't require any new drugs.

As for the nasal spray, I can't tell you how many times I've paid for a drug I either had failed to research or was thinking of quitting, then ended up not using it. I hate that they staple the brochure to the bag and you don't get the bad news until you're home.

Barbora said...

I hear you, Leila!

Good question, Trish. I'm beginning to think not.