Thursday, April 12, 2007

Hunter S. Thompson Was Right!

...at least about the bats.



My recent experience with two new doctors has convinced me that there really is a stigma attached to being a hypochondriac. As someone with a “sincere” mental health or physical health concern, I’ve generally gotten more or less, fair treatment by the doctors I’ve seen. On the other hand, when I’ve disclosed that I am a hypochondriac, I’ve been dismissed and treated condescendingly. Yes, I mean this with regard to psychiatrists too!

Up until this last shrink, I was never comfortable enough to say, “I’m a hypochondriac.” I talked about my anxiety and obsessive/compulsive disorder and even occasional panic, but never, EVER used the “H” word. I figured that if they were worth the weight of their medical license, the psychiatrists would figure it out for themselves.

Hunter S. Thompson put it beautifully in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, “No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.” Hunter S. Thompson was right about the bats and I think I’m equally right about not mentioning the “H” word.

Yesterday, before I saw my doctor, I practiced telling her about my symptoms and my past history, biopsy and all, without making it sound like I was a hypochondriac. “Yes, the burning in my mouth and sensation that something is there, has been going on for at least two years now. My last doctor told me to take this ($72) Nasarel, but it’s not doing anything. What do you recommend.” I waited until my hands stopped shaking enough that I could actually drive myself to the appointment and delivered my speech. Fine. I feel like I was given a fair shake. In the past, I have made the mistake of mentioning to otolargyngologists that I was perhaps a little too concerned with the sensations. MISTAKE! After that they were worse than useless.

I haven’t made my mind up yet, but if I do end up switching psychiatrists, I’m going back to NOT mentioning hypochondria. This last one sort of curled her lip back when I said the word and questioned me a little too enthusiastically about why I had difficulty being reassured after a doctors visit.

I should have asked “Are you a ‘real’ psychatrist?”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Timely topic, Barbora. I've been pondering the same question in relation to upcoming appointments, and I think you're right that it's better to let them figure it out. Have never used the word hypo with a shrink but have had pretty much the same reaction when I mentioned excessive worry about anything. Like I was an overly dramatic child or something.

Congratulations on your clean bill of health from the ENT. That must be a big relief.

Leila V. said...

While I've never been to a shrink, I don't even think about using the h word around my doctor. That's like suicide.

Barbora said...

Good to hear from you, Trish!

Yes, this last Dr.’s visit felt pretty good. I’m especially appreciative to have seen someone other than the same two Dr.’s at Kaiser. After two years of complaining about the same burning mouth symptoms, I think they were starting to catch on.

Ah, the freedom of Blue Cross! I can choose, hire or fire doctors at will. I better find a job pretty darn quick though. The monthly cost of this plan could probably sustain a small third-world village.

How is your Dr. shopping going?

What ever you do, don’t say the “H” word!

Hope your Mom is doing ok. Mine is looking much better. She told me today that she put on three pounds since the stomach flu! Yeah!

Lacy said...

Bastards! I hate when they discount us.

I think we all have a little hypo in us. I mean who really WANTS to be sick.

Now that my doctor knows I have anxiety, he pretty much ignores me.

Have you found someone you like yet?

Anonymous said...

Good to be back, thank you. Ah...the doctor shopping. I have an appointment in a few weeks with somebody rumored to be a wonderful person who really listens (bet I can put that to the test). He is also into integrative medicine which might be a nice change. In the meantime, after spending countless hours reviewing health insurance choices, we are sticking with the same old crummy PPO because, in spite of all the red tape and extra $$, it gives us the most freedom. No gatekeeper, no referrals, and the ability to go out of network if you're willing to pay the difference.

Glad to hear your mom is doing well. Dad (thanks for asking) is ok but failing a little more all the time. If I had the energy, I'd start a blog on coping with aging parents; it certainly is a challenge.


Lacy: Do you think they're onto us? Anxiety=hypochondria=doctor can't cope?

Barbora said...

Hi Lacy,

No, procrastinator that I am, I haven’t really followed up to see if there are any other psychiatrists accepting new patients. I really should do it NOW, that I’m at relatively “ok” point in my hypochondria cycle.

*****

Hi Trish,

Sorry about my mix-up. You did say that it was your Dad.

I can sympathize with not having the energy to blog. I don’t know what I’m going to do when I find a job : )

Lacy said...

so-since I'm a good many months out from my last freak out episode of hypo-ness, let me just say, come on in girls, the water is fine!

I am so over the whole not taking my meds thing. I hate hate hate my panic attacks adn they are completely under control when I'm dopin! ;)

Really, I don't know why my panic takes on the form of health anxiety..but it does.

Get thee to a psychiatry, lady! ;)

Barbora said...

"Thanks, Mom!"

You're right. : )