Friday, June 1, 2007

Welfare Island


This whole TB scare got me thinking about my Dad and Aunt and what an impression TB made upon them when they were young. It was much more prevalent during the 1930’s and 40’s. It was something I remember them talking about and was clearly something they feared. When I was about 25 years old, 5’7”, about 100 lbs. and in full party mode, Dad took me aside and warned me that TB was never eliminated completely and if I didn’t take better care of myself, I’d be at risk.

I kind of suspect that my Dad and Aunt both had hypochondriac and depressive tendencies but they are both gone now, and neither were willing to talk about it when they were alive. I’m not sure they were able. They really were from a different generation and didn’t have the self-help vocabulary I have today, or the relative comfort I have discussing such matters.

Before he went into the service my Dad was a bartender in a place that was owned by a couple who was infected with tuberculosis. While bartending, he was grateful not to be working in the mines, where his brother died, but when he was drafted, he was grateful to be away from the TB carriers.

My Aunt also had more than a passing encounter with TB. She worked as a nurse on Welfare Island and spent time in the TB ward. She had many stories about her time there, most of which were indelicate, to say the least, and were told over the table during holiday dinners. (If anyone is interested, I found a very nice posting by a woman who shares her memories of Welfare Island. She has kind words to say about the nursing care given to indigent patients. She makes me proud that my Aunt was there.) My Aunt told stories of impacted stool, swallowed chicken bones and TB patients. “Patients in the TB ward were very sexual,” she recalled, in her own vague words to that effect. She remembered that point and talked about what she perceived to be an expression of “life force.” I wish I could remember more, but I can’t. Maybe, it’s better. This way, her memories are not trivial or mundane to me – instead they are big and dark and important in ways I don’t understand.

The bottom line is that my Dad and Aunt lived pretty close to the disease and were not infected. Although TB is very contagious, coming in contact with carriers is not an automatic death sentence. If itwere, I wouldn’t be here blogging today. Cough –
This year’s summer reading list must include Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann.

3 comments:

Barbora said...

Today in the shrink's office I read an article in an old issue of Time magazine about Suzanne Vega's avatar...it occurs to me that at the very least, I could sure use a younger, hipper sock-puppet.

Leila V. said...

First, who the hell is Suzanne Vega?

And second, your aunt is a bigger person than I'll ever be. You'd never find me working anywhere with "welfare" or "ward" in the title. Interesting post.

BTW, thank god for those terrorists getting the TB story knocked off the news.

Barbora said...

Suzanne Vega is a songwriter/musician, singer. Her best know songs are “Luca” and “Tom’s Diner.”

I’m with you about NOT working anywhere near healthcare! My Aunt was a really neat lady. Not without her quirks – but really neat.