Saturday, June 9, 2007

CRA-AZY Saint John Slashes Prices!

I know I’ve posted before about one of my favorite dreams, the one where new rooms appear where there were none before. I then get to explore the new spaces and all the great stuff stored in them. Well, today I got to do it for real! Wow! Was it fun!

Quite by accident, I found out that one of the old, Catholic elementary schools that closed some time ago and the attached convent was having a sale.

It was an EVERYTHING goes sale that included furniture and architectural scrap. Basically, even if it was nailed down, if you could get it out, you were free to make an offer…cabinets, old wood work, stained glass windows, desks, books, teaching tools, podiums, etc…all circa 1920-1970.

We’re getting a few of the old steam radiators. One of our bedrooms (that we’re using for storage now) has no radiator, just a pipe in the floor where one should be. We’re also going to replace at least one other radiator that’s painted over. BF is getting a fantastic old, slate blackboard for his office and two cabinets.

We’ve got to line up a truck, tools and manual labor one night this week to claim our treasure. I’m almost tempted to get a couple more of the radiators and radiators covers to resell. Period hardware is a desirable thing. Probably a BAD idea…I would just end up with old radiators in my basement. There are also some awesome, built-in, wooden cabinets that would just rock in the kitchen, but I’d need a serious craftsman to get them out properly.

There were also a lot great religious items that were already promised to another church…a kneeler with screen for confessions, wooden pews and a stunning set of stations-of-the-cross done on wood. I want it all. I’m going to go to bed tonight and dream about my day.

3 comments:

Leila V. said...

Sounds like fun! I hate to be the one always asking questions, but I thought radiators went in cars, what gives? In any event, I'd recommend against buying them all, they will inevitably end up in that basement for eternity. The slate blackboard on the other hand sounds cool, you could probably use a few more of those. ;)

Tournesol said...

Oh Wow, that sounds awesome. I love old stuff like that. Especially the religious stuff, very cool. I would love a blackboard, I wanted to get one for my kids and could only find the green ones that don't really work to well, too slick, and the white boards which the pens smell terrible. (Jimson Weed is native to South and Central America according to one site, but probably travelled to North America long ago. I'm in California, I think I will leave it for now, I like it.)

Anonymous said...

Good words.